Carolina Season Starter 2018
- Sep 8, 2018
- Gastonia, North Carolina, United States
Johan Newcombe Event Center
- 1840 E Franklin Blvd, Gastonia, North Carolina, 28034
Entrance is the door on the left side of the building. Please park on the left side of building as well.
- Organization team
- Kyler Smith and Zachary Ochs
- WCA Delegates
- Cady Shields, Jacob Ambrose, and Katie Hull
Please review the competitor information tab before the competition.
Registrations must be approved manually, therefore your name may not appear on the registration list immediately. Please allow 48 hours before contacting the organizers.
- Main event
- Registration period
Online registration opened and closed .
- Registration requirements
This competition is over, click here to display the registration requirements it used.Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 120 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $22 (United States Dollar).
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 100% of your registration fee.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
If you are on the waitlist and someone cancels their registration you will receive an email from the organizers. You must confirm your registration within 24 hours of receiving the email to compete. If no response is heard from you, the next person on the waiting list will be offered your spot.
Click here to display the highlights of the competition.
|3x3x3 Cube||Johan Athial||8.40||9.41||United States||10.33||9.03||10.62||8.40||8.88|
|2x2x2 Cube||Zachary Ochs||1.20||2.18||United States||1.84||2.24||DNF||2.45||1.20|
|4x4x4 Cube||Katie Hull||26.66||31.93||United States||34.32||30.66||33.74||31.39||26.66|
|3x3x3 One-Handed||Kieran Dizon||11.38||12.51||United States||12.81||12.14||11.38||16.81||12.59|
|Clock||Jacob Ambrose||4.89||6.40||United States||6.52||6.37||6.37||4.89||6.47|
|Pyraminx||Zachary Ochs||3.17||3.50||United States||3.45||4.07||3.21||3.17||3.83|
|Skewb||Andreas Lambropoulos||4.34||5.45||United States||4.77||4.34||7.16||5.86||5.71|
|Square-1||Zachary Ochs||8.14||10.30||United States||11.99||11.48||8.14||10.44||8.97|
|3x3x3 Cube||First round||Ao5||10:00.00||Top 48 advance to next round|
|Second round||Ao5||10:00.00||Top 24 advance to next round|
|2x2x2 Cube||First round||Ao5||10:00.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|4x4x4 Cube||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||3:00.00||2 attempts to get < 1:45.00|
|3x3x3 One-Handed||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||2:00.00||2 attempts to get < 50.00|
|Clock||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||1:00.00||2 attempts to get < 35.00||Top 10 advance to next round|
|Pyraminx||First round||Ao5||1:00.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Square-1||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||2:00.00||2 attempts to get < 50.00|
- Shortly following the new competitor introduction at 9:45, we will also hold a judging tutorial at this time. All competitors should attend this tutorial. If you are a parent and would like to be entertained for the duration of the day, judging would be a great option for you!
- Please try to arrive at least 30 minutes early for the events you are competing in to ensure that you are on time for that event.
- We will use regulation 9p3) for all final rounds. If you are not present when a final starts, you will be withdrawn from that final.
- It would be wonderful if we could get some volunteer help from the parents. This would require either being present at the judging tutorial or to have someone teach you how to judge later in the day. Judge for however long you'd feel like. It's an excellent way to make the time fly by!
- Your delegate for this competition is Cady Shields. Ask them if you have any questions throughout the day!
For those of you new to cubing, WELCOME!
We wanted to let you know this event is perfectly fine for cubers of any age and experience. We just ask you know a couple things before coming to compete...
First, please be familiar with the WCA Regulations, found here:
Of course, those regulations contain a lot of legalese, so we have a video made specifically for new cubers, just to show them the basics of competing. This video will explain most of what any cuber competing for the first time will need to know. It is highly suggested that parents watch this video as well.
If you have any questions after this video, we will be having a new competitor tutorial in the morning of the competition. That would be the perfect time to ask those questions and clear up any confusion.
If you are stoked to compete and ready to sign up, head over to the registration tab, click register, and fill out the information it asks for. This will help you get set up the WCA's system and one step closer to your first official solve!
* Please bring some for of identification. This will be used to verify your name, birthday, and nationality. (something like a passport or school ID).
* Please be familiar with all of WCA's regulations, most importantly Article A. If you have any questions about the regulations, feel free to ask us.
* In each event we will have rounds. We will take the top competitors on to the subsequent rounds. After a round is completed results will be entered into CubeComps (linked above). Your name will be highlighted if you made it to the next round.
* Each round will be divided into groups to help them run more efficiently. We will call the groups in order, along with a last call. Please come bring your solved puzzle up and wait in the competitor waiting area whenever your group is called. We are allowed to deny you the ability to compete if you do not come up by the last call.
Q: Do I use my own cube to compete?
A: YES! You are responsible for your own hardware in order to compete, however, we will have a vendor at this competition, from which you can buy puzzles if your current ones have seen better days.
Q: What is the normal age of competitors at these events?
A: All ages are welcome, but in general competitors are between 10 and 20 years old. Don't let this stop you though, everyone can and should cube!
Q: What is the competition like?
A; Competitions are a bunch of tables where nerds like us get to sit and discuss our favorite thing, Cubes! Of course in addition there is competing, which will occupy one side of the competition hall, where you will see lots of timers flickering with contestants new personal bests. Most competitions have a break for lunch, and the competing is split up into groups, as to better organize who competes when.
Q: How do I find results?
A: All results are posted on the WCA page a couple of days after the competition finishes. However, for the day of competing, go to Cubecomps.com to find information about current events. This is also where you will find information about 2nd and 3rd rounds of events.
Q: Why am I not on the competitors list yet?
A: Allow up to 48 hours for your name to appear on the competitors list. Make sure you pay you entrance fee in order to be automatically placed on the registered list, which will also guarantee you a spot in the competition. If payment may be any issue, or you are not sure if you can attend, use the contact button to talk to us, and see if we can work out another payment strategy. No matter what you situation may be however, please register online.
Q: Are there age divisions?
A: Nope! All cometitors compete in the same group.
Q: Can I have fun at this event?
A: HECK YES! Cubing is amazing, and we sincerely hope you enjoy the competition!
Room Details: Very large venue. Plenty of seating.
Parking: Try to do your best to park to the left of the building as there is a connected buidling to the right thats a store.
Lunch: Food is not permitted in the venue and therfore is not provided. During the Mid day break and dinner, time will be given to go out, take a break and get some food.
Hotels: There are various Hotels located along Cox road.
Airport: Charlotte Douglous International Airport
Date: Saturday September 8th
|9:00 - 9:45||Set-Up|
|9:45 - 10:00||New competitor Introduction|
|10:00 - 11:00||Pyraminx Round 1|
|11:00 - 12:20||3x3 Round 1|
|12:20 - 1:00||Clock Round 1|
|1:00 - 2:00||Mid Day Break|
|2:00 - 2:50||4x4 Combined Final|
|2:50 - 3:45||2x2 Round 1|
|3:45 - 4:35||3x3 OH Combined Final|
|4:35 - 5:10||3x3 Round 2|
|5:10 - 6:00||Skewb Combined Final|
|6:00 - 6:50||Square-1 Combined Final|
|6:50 - 7:40||Dinner Break Before Finals|
|7:40 - 8:00||Pyraminx Finals|
|8:00 - 8:20||2x2 Finals|
|8:20 - 8:40||Clock Finals|
|8:40 - 9:00||3x3 Finals|
|9:00 - 10:00||Awards & Clean Up|
*if time permits Skewb Finals will occur
We will revise the Schedule 1 week prior to the competition to reflect the number of people competing.
All times are tentative and subject to change if we are ahead or behind schedule.
We may add rounds of events if we run far ahead of schedule.
This competition is proudly sponsored by
If you reach the time limit during your solve, the judge will stop you and your result will be DNF (see Regulation A1a4).
The result to beat to proceed to the second phase of a cutoff round (see Regulation 9g).
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.